Dateline Feb. 2009: Obama vowed to cut the country’s budget deficit in half by the end of his first term.
Nope, never happened.
Today he falsely claimed to have cut the deficit in half.
The money quote via RCP Video:
Although I should add, this shutdown isn’t about deficits or spending or budgets.
After all, our deficits are falling at the fastest pace in 50 years.
We’ve cut them in half since I took office. ”
~ Obama (October 1, 2013)
The Washington Free Beacon shines sun light on the ‘Obama cut the deficit in half’ lie:
Budget figures provided by the White House show that the deficit nearly tripled from 2008 to 2009, when Obama took office, and has remained above $1 trillion since then, though 2013 projections are slightly lower.
The country has seen higher budget deficits during every year of ObamaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s presidency than it did during any of his predecessorÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s eight years in office.
The White House provides the following deficit numbers:
2005: $318 billion
2006: $248 billion
2007: $161 billion
2008: $459 billion
2009: $1.41 trillion
2010: $1.29 trillion
2011: $1.3 trillion
2012: $1.09 trillion
2013 (projected): $973 billion
- Obama 2004 Campaign Flashback: Bush Deficit Is An Ã¢â‚¬Å“Enormous ProblemÃ¢â‚¬Â
- Obama Flashback Video: Bush Presided Over An Ã¢â‚¬Å“OrgyÃ¢â‚¬Â Of Spending
- Obama Flashback Videos: 2009: Ã¢â‚¬ËœYou donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t raise taxes in a recessionÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ 2011: Ã¢â‚¬Ëœ NobodyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s looking to raise taxes right now.Ã¢â‚¬â„¢
- Obama Admits He Is More Irresponsible & Unpatriotic Than Bush!
- Flashback Video 2009: Obama: Failure To Control Our Debt Could Cause Double-Dip Recession
- Obama 2004: BushÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 310,000 Jobs & 5.6% Unemployment Rate Not Good EnoughÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ [Video]
- Flashback: Senator Obama Voted NO on Raising the Debt Ceiling Ã¢â‚¬Å“A sign of leadership failureÃ¢â‚¬Â
- Flashback Video: Harry Reid Ã¢â‚¬â„¢06: Ã¢â‚¬ËœRaising debt limit..will weaken country, hurt economyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢