Let’s break the 5th amendment down: You only use it when your ass is guilty. You know, that whole self-incriminating thing. #IRS
— Sean (@massSNAFU) May 21, 2013
And Lerner’s guilt is written all over this manuever.
(LA Times) –WASHINGTON — A top IRS official in the division that reviews nonprofit groups will invoke the 5th Amendment and refuse to answer questions before a House committee investigating the agency’s improper screening of conservative nonprofit groups.
Lois Lerner, the head of the exempt organizations division of the IRS, won’t answer questions about what she knew about the improper screening — or why she didn’t disclose it to Congress, according to a letter from her defense lawyer, William W. Taylor III. Lerner was scheduled to appear before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.
“She has not committed any crime or made any misrepresentation but under the circumstances she has no choice but to take this course,” said a letter by Taylor to committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Vista). The letter, sent Monday, was obtained Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times.
Taylor, a criminal defense attorney from the Washington firm Zuckerman Spaeder, said that the Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.
Since Lerner won’t answer questions, Taylor asked that she be excused from appearing, saying that would “have no purpose other than to embarrass or burden her.” [...]
Shorter defense lawyer Taylor: ‘It would be an embarrassing burden for Lerner to incriminate herself.
Meanwhile “Issa has issued a subpoena to Lerner anyway.” GOOD.
Oh the irony!
@jimgeraghty Violator of 1st, 4th and 14th pleads 5th.
— Matthew Burtner (@MforestB) May 21, 2013
- Today: #IRS Commish Miller: “I will, take responsibility for” Planted Q&A –Last Week: “I did not do that” [Video]
- Video: #IRS Commish Miller Denies [Again] That Targeting Was Partisan Then [Finally] Admits It “Absolutely” Was
- Armed DHS Guards Outside St. Louis #IRS During #TeaParty Rally [Photo]
- Smoking Gun? Obama MET With #IRS Union Pres. DAY BEFORE Conservative Targeting Began
- @RepKevinBrady Asks #IRS Commissioner Miller: “Is This Still America?, Is This Admin. Drunk On Power”? [Video]
- Stunning #IRSHearing Revelation! #IRS Asked Pro-Life Group To “Detail Content Of Members Prayers”
- #IRSHearing: Watch The Scorching Rant That Gave @MikeKellyPA A Standing O [Video]
- #IRSHearing: #IRS Commish Miller: “Absolutely Not Illegal” For IRS To Target Groups & Individual Citizens [Video]
- BAM! #IRSHearing @RepPaulRyan Gets #IRS Commish Miller To Admit No Progressive Groups Were Targeted [Video]
- #IRSHearing: #IRS Commish “I Don’t Remember” Names Of Who Is Responsible For Targeting Conservatives [Video]
- #IRS Official In Charge During Teaparty Targeting Now Runs ObamaCare Office!!
- Obama’s #IRS Demanded Pro-Life Christian Group Seeking Tax Exempt Status Sign Non Pickett Planned Parenthood Pledge
- “Rogue” Cinci #IRS Employees At Center Of Scandal: ‘We Simply Did What Bosses Ordered’
- Obama’s #IRS Commisioner Ousting Farce: Miller Was ALREADY Set To Resign Post [Updated]
- Eric Holder’s House Judiciary Committee Testimony: “I Don’t Know, I Don’t Know, I Don’t Know, I Don’t Know, I Don’t Know…” 57 Times! [Video]
- Eric Holder: “Not Sure” When I Recused Myself on Secret AP Subpoena, Not In Writing